- Have a pre-existing passion, shared enthusiasm and commitment for a strong healthy community?
- Have eagerness to participate at every meeting?
- Are willing to prepare ahead for meetings?
- Are anxious to serve on a committee?
- Have a strong desire for stewardship to others?
- Strive to learn as much as possible?
- Are you respected in the community?
- Have ability and propensity to give above average financially?
- Have previous board or committee experience at a successful charity?
Then you or SOMEONE YOU KNOW may be the ideal candidate to serve ON UNITED WAY OF THE LAKELANDS BOARD OF DIRECTORS (UWL)
Our mission is to:
To connect people, resources, and organizations to create a thriving community for all.
What does a United Way of the Lakelands Board Member Do?
The UWL Board of Directors (hereto referred to as the “Board”) serves as critical community champions for Greenwood & Abbeville Counties. Members of the Board share their gifts in service to our mission by providing UWL with their professional expertise; their diverse knowledge of participant perspectives; their connections to local, national or international resources, colleagues or peers; their philanthropic support and other forms of needed assistance. The Board serves as a full governing Board with fiduciary responsibilities for UWL.
Board Members have these responsibilities:
- Setting the vision of the organization, based on the missions and values established, and development of measurements to assure the vision is met
- Assuring that the finances of United Way are handled prudently, legally and transparently
- Networking and relationship-building with a diverse group of pertinent professionals and community members.
- Using talents and connections to make a tangible impact in our communities.
- Committed attendance and active engagement at two-hour monthly Board meetings and annual planning session
- Active involvement of at least one Board committee
- Selection, support and review of President & CEO
- Philanthropic support of United Way
Term: Three years, with an option to serve a second term.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- A demonstrated interest in the agency’s service goals
- Specific experience and/or knowledge in at least one element: administration, finance, personnel, program development, public relations or communications
- Representative of some aspect or segment of the population in the community
- Available time for an engaged commitment
- Participation on a Board Committee
United Way is now accepting nominations forms for the 2019-2022 board term.
To nominate someone or yourself, please apply here.